Sweet Potatoes on Hand?
Sweet potato pie
My friend gave me tons of sweet potatoes. What to do with it all, I thought… In not wanting to make my kitchen messy by making DAIGAKU-imo, I decided to bake up a pie. Tastes similar to pumpkin pie so, in that sense, it is a perfect ‘comfort food’ dessert. Enjoy!
- 1 pound (around 400 g) sweet potato
- 1/2c (115 g) butter, softened
- 1c (200g but I think 150g is enough!) white or brown sugar
- 1/2c (120 ml) milk
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp ground nutmeg
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- optional: ginger, raisins
- Boil sweet potatoes until done. Remove the skin and blend WELL to make fibers disappear. (or strain through a sieve! caveat: mashing doesn’t work)
- Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into a pie crust or graham cracker crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a souffle, and then will sink down as it cools.
Making an easy, healthier pie crust: blend up a pack of graham crackers with a few spoons of plain yogurt (unstrained is okay)…pat down into pie pan! Usually butter is used instead of yogurt for graham crusts.
This is pretty FOOLPROOF. You can adjust it and change it a little and it will still come out nicely. Good luck!