Request from Tepco to Conserve Electricity
Tepco, the company that provides electricity to the Kanto region, sent out a flyer on Friday asking people to conserve electricity due to the shutdown of the seven reactors at the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa Nuclear Power Plant as a result of the recent earthquake in Niigata. In particular, they have asked that we try to conserve electricity at both home and work during the peak hours of 1pm to 4pm.
Here are some suggestions that they give to help reduce the amount of electricity we use.
- Raise the setting on your air conditioner.
- Use curtains or blinds to reduce the amount of sun that enters your room.
- Turn off appliances that you are not using.
- Turn off lights that you are not using.
- Close the refrigerator door quickly after opening it.
- Don’t overstock your refrigerator.
- If you are not watching your television, turn it off at the main switch (not just the remote control switch).
- Reduce the operating hours of elevators and escalators.