Preparing Your Family for Earthquakes
Since you can never know when an earthquake is going to happen, and since we are living in one of the most seismically active countries, it is important for all of your family members to know what to do when one happens.
Hold a family meeting to discuss what to do in case of an earthquake.
(1) Give each family member a role.
- Make sure one family member is assigned to take care of each child or elderly person in the family.
(2) Identify danger zones.
- Check spots inside and outside your house that might be dangerous.
- Discuss how to make these spots more safe by fixing or strengthening them.
(3) Make an emergency pack.
- Check to make sure that you have all of the important items.
- Periodically check to make sure that the items are still usable and not expired.
(4) Have emergency tools available.
- Identify the locations of the fire extinguishers and first aid kits.
- Make sure your family members know how to use the fire extinguisher and how to give first aid treatment.
(5) Devise a way to communicate with each other.
- Discuss how you will communicate with each other if you are not at home.
- Learn how to use the “Disaster Dial System” (171).
(6) Discuss your escape routes and places to take refuge.
- Locate the areas of refuge in your community. You should choose a number of possibilities around your home.
- Take your family to the areas of refuge so they can see where they are.