Where to Call in Case of Maritime Emergencies
Yep, that’s THE number to call, not 119 (medical emergency/fire) or 110 (police). As with 119 and 110, dialing this number won’t cost you anything.
Dial 118 if you
- are in or witness a maritime emergency
- discover an oil spill
- witness a suspicious vessel
- hear about the smuggling
From the Japan Coast Guard /Marine Ranger’s page, three very important tips to save your life.
1. Wear a life jacket at all times
2. Ensure a way to call for help: buying a waterproof cell phone or a waterproof bag/case for your cell phone is highly recommended
3. Call 118
If you have kids, you might want to watch this movie from 政府広報オンライン (“government publicity online”) with your kids.
Other helpful/related sites:
Japan Coast Guard website (English)
- also available in Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Russian
Ibaraki Coast Guard Office (Japanese)
3rd Regional Coast Guard Headquarters (Japanese)
- The list of all other regional coast guard HQs