A Local Perspective on Life in Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan.

Annual Pay Statements

I had to translate an annual pay statement for someone at work today, so I thought I would share the results with TsukuBlog readers just in case you can use it in the future. The annual pay statement (or 源泉徴収票, gensen choushuu hyou) is given to employees around January or February. It is a record of how much income you had over the past calendar year, and how much tax you paid on that income. It is usually written on a tiny piece of paper, about one-quarter the size of a sheet of A4 paper, so you may not realize how important it is when you first see it. However, it is really important to keep this little slip of paper in a safe place for future reference. If you have to file a separate tax form every year (for example, if you have more than one job), you will have to submit the original statements to the city hall. Also, you may have to produce the statements when you renew your visa.

My translations are just provided to give you an idea of what the categories are about. I don’t have a degree in tax law, so I am not 100% sure what some of the categories are meant for. If you have any questions about your own pay statement, the best person to ask is your own employer.

Click the image below to see the translation.


Comments are closed.